Momento

 

Angle 1
Materials: Wood, Gold Paint, Black Paint.
Angle 2
Angle 3
This sculpture reflects my first hockey game with my father. Hockey has been something that has brought my dad and I closer. For my 20th birthday he got me tickets to a Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Columbus Ohio  Blue Jackets game. I am a Lightning fan and I was lucky that they won the game. So for this sculpture I wanted it to be shaped like a hockey puck and painted black like one. It is smaller than three inches and with a divot in the middle that is about an inch long. The divot represents the rink and the gold dots represent the crowd and how crowded the stadium was. I chose gold because we won the game and gold is a color of victory.


Artist Inspirations:
1. Anthony Roussel: I liked his use of hollowness and negative space.
2. Carrie Dickenson: I liked her use of depth and detail.
3. Sophie Hanagarth: I liked her use of simplicity. 



Quotes from: Objects of Desire by Susan Stuart
Correlating photos and explanations 
"The body is the primary mode of perceiving scale"

I chose this photo because it represents my body as a scale. I am standing (5'4) in front of a very large tree at Ringling Museum in Sarasota Fl. The trees there are huge, they create a canopy over the walkways. 


"The souvenir speaks to a context of origin through a language of longing, for it is not an object arising out of need or use value"

I chose this image because it is my reminder of my first adventure with my best friends. This was our first bonding experience and ever since then we have been best friends. This photos I my souvenir of our friendships start.

"The souvenir reduces the public, the monumental, and the three dimensional into the miniature, that which can be enveloped by the body"

This image was chosen because it is a reminder of my first step into adulthood. I was terrified to go to college. So when I toured the school for the first time I got this polaroid photo of Lewis the lion and I. This was a big step for me to leave to go to college and I am glad I have a polaroid to remind me of my first time leaving.


"To have a souvenir of the exotic is to possess both a specimen and a trophy"

I was very unsure of what photo to use for this quote but I think this guy would work fine. I am not a big insect person so when I saw this grasshopper I had to snap a photo. He has very unique marks on him which I take as exotic and I showed everyone this photo because I thought he looked so cool.

"The place of origin must remain unavailable in order for desire to be generated"

I grew up in a beach town and always loved going to the beach. But after a few traumatic experiences I do not go into the water anymore. It is something I desire to do. The water is so calming and it feels just out of my reach. I want to one day be able to surf or float in the ocean to feel the calm.







Comments

Popular Posts